Thursday, March 25, 2010

Hairstylist / Client relationships

"A client/hairstylist relationship is a lot like dating. You go through that honeymoon phase where "she rocks your hair world", then sometimes it gets stale, and of course, there are times when you just don't see eye to eye. This is perfectly normal, but if the stale part of the relationship hasn't gotten better in the past three or four haircuts, it may just be time to move on. This is an especially hard breakup if the two of you have been together for a long time! If your not ready to move on to some one less stale. Maybe it's time to speak up ! I know I don't enjoy stale... But, sometimes we need some " GO AHEAD" girl from our clients. Let, me know your willing to make a change in a new style and trust my talent and I will show you what " It's all about " I don't want to be labeled as a stylist who just does what ever I want, when I want. But, if you give me the green light... my ideas and creativity starts flowing. If your thinking of " breaking up with your stylist " You might be thinking.... So what do you say? 'It's not you, it's me.' 'I just need some space.' That's a start. But once again, I think honesty is the way to go. Of course you can just ignore her, never call again, and hope you don't run into her somewhere public with new highlights, but I think the better route is to just let her know that you need a change. Have the respect to give your stylist one more chance or a clue that your not happy or moving on... maybe you both are stuck in a rut. Try something new ! Like I said before, as a hairstylist, I know that all relationships aren't perfect and that I don't always get what my clients are looking for. I'd rather they loved the hair that they have to look at everyday, than worry about hurting my feelings. If that means moving on to a new hairstylist. Or just speaking up about their likes or dislikes. One thing I have learned for sure, you can't wear your feelings on your SMOCK. Leave your feelings at the door when you come to work. Because it's nothing personal VISA / VERSA.... Ask me if I think you can pull off a color or a style and YOU MAY NOT ALWAYS LIKE MY ANSWER. I am here to help you. Not hurt you. I wont send you out the door, looking like a train wreck. LOL. Besides that I have worked on referral base only for five years I wouldn't want " bad advertisement " right ? YOUR HAPPINESS MATTERS. The first step in awesome hair Or hair that rocks your hair world ... Is communication. The client, knowing what she wants better yet knowing what she doesn't want. That is helpful. If you have communication .... YOU HAVE AMAZING HAIR. I am the type of stylist who won't do what " I THINK " you said.... I do what you said.... Unless, of course your one of the " DO WHATEVER YOU, WANT SHERYLE" kinda clients. GOD LOVE THEM. LOL. They allow me to do what I know how to do and what I have been trained and have skills to do. It feels good to know that I am trusted. Hair is my passion. I don't just do hair... I create hair. Its not about following a pattern, doing a basic hair cut. It's about understanding your clients needs, wants, and also giving them a style that they love. Honesty & communication make for a happy healthy hair relationship.